Article I: Name
The official name of this body shall be the Sonoma State University Staff Council. It may be referred in short as “SSU Staff Council” or “Staff Council.”
Article II: Purpose
The Staff Council shall report directly to the campus President or the President’s designee.
The Staff Council is a recognized body within shared governance on the Sonoma State campus.
The Staff Council shall only provide input on issues not covered by collective bargaining.
The Staff Council may sponsor programs, events and various services in an effort to promote a culture of respect, cooperation, and understanding across the campus community.
The Staff Council may offer advice on community and academic-related matters.
The SSU Staff Council and its representatives acknowledge SSU’s core values, including inclusiveness and embracing diversity of people and beliefs.
Article III: Membership
The Staff Council Executive Committee officers shall consist of a group of elected staff members.
All non-faculty employees comprise the at-large membership of the Staff Council.
Ex-officio members are non-voting representatives. They may not serve on the Executive Committee, are not restricted to the above stated Article III limitations, and act in an advisory capacity.
Article IV: Executive Committee Officers
Staff Council Executive Committee leadership consists of officers elected by the Staff Council membership.
- Vice Chair
- Custodian of Records
Article V: Meetings
Regular and special meetings of the SSU Staff Council shall be held as defined in the Bylaws.
Article VI: Amendments
Amendments to this Constitution shall be made only at regular meetings of the SSU Staff Council.
Article I: Executive Committee Membership
The Staff Council Executive Committee shall consist of elected Officers who serve as representatives for the general staff population on campus.
Eligibility includes all non-faculty employees of SSU, or an SSU auxiliary, who are employed on at least a half-time basis, or more, with an initial appointment of at least 11 months or more.
The Executive Committee Officers shall serve two-year terms.
All terms of Executive Committee Officers shall coincide with the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Staggered terms are encouraged and therefore the Chair will be elected one year and the Vice Chair the following year to maintain staggered terms for the top two Officer positions.
If a voting member of the Executive Committee l is unable to attend a regular meeting, 6the member should be represented by proxy acceptable to the Executive Committee Chair. Notice of absences shall be submitted to the Chair prior to the meeting.
If an Executive Committee Officer is absent without proxy from three regular meetings in any fiscal year, the member may be considered for removal at the next regular meeting of the Staff Council.
Article II: Executive Committee Officers
The initial makeup of the Executive Committee shall consist of the five officer positions to serve as the leadership to the staff council. The Executive Committee officers may add additional positions to the Executive Committee if the need arises.
Duties of Officers
- The Chair shall: Preside at all meetings of the Staff Council. Vote only when needed to constitute a quorum or to break a tie vote.
- The Vice Chair shall: Assume the duties of the Chair, in the absence of the Chair, or at any other time upon request of the Chair. Assume the duties of the Chair for the unexpired term in the event the Chair is unable to complete the term of office; perform other duties as may be deemed necessary and assigned by the Chair.
- The Secretary shall: Assume the duties of the Chair in the absence of the Chair and the Vice Chair; keep records of minutes; ensure that those minutes are kept and appropriately distributed; prepare an agenda and send to membership with a notice of each meeting; perform other duties as may be deemed necessary and assigned by the Chair.
- The Treasurer shall: Be responsible for all money acquired by Staff Council; Pay all bills; Assist the Chair in the preparation of the proposed annual budget; Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary and assigned by the Chair.
- The Custodian of Records shall: Be responsible for Staff Council correspondence and web presence. Notify officers/members of their election; Maintain current officer roster; perform other duties as may be deemed necessary and assigned by the Chair.
- The Ex-officio members of Staff Council shall be:
- Academic Senate Chair or designee: The principal duty of the Academic Senate Chair is to advise the Staff Council on academic and faculty related matters.
- Student Government President or Student Designee: The principal duty of the Student Government President is to advise the Staff Council on student and student employee related matters.
- The Campus President or Designee: The principal duty of the campus President or designee is to advise the Chair. Ex-officio members may not serve as SSU Staff Council Executive Committee Officers.
Article III: Elections of Executive Committee Officers
General Elections: Elections will follow the standard election practice at SSU; confidential through electronic election means. Candidates receiving the highest number of votes from the at-large membership in each area shall be declared elected. If there is a tie vote, a run-off election shall be held within ten days of the general election.
Nominees must have their supervisor’s approval. If only one candidate nomination is received for a specific area then no ballot election will be necessary.
An officer may be recalled by a two-thirds vote of the members and after an open meeting where they are present.
A vacancy in an unexpired term on Staff Council’s Executive Committee will be filled by appointment of the Chair with the majority approval of the Executive Committee.
Article V: Meetings
General meetings of the Staff Council shall be held quarterly, or once per month as needs arise. General meetings will be called by the Executive Committee.
The Chair may call a special meeting of the Staff Council Executive Committee.
Parliamentary Authority shall be Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, unless otherwise specified in this document.
A simple majority of Executive Committee members at any meeting of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum authorized to transact any business duly presented.
The Executive Committee should prepare a written report yearly for Sonoma State’s President recognizing current year’s accomplishments, make recommendations for the following year and ask for input and guidance on the direction the committee should operate the following year.
Article VI: Amendments
Once per year the Bylaws will be reviewed and amended as necessary. Amendments to the Staff Council Constitution and Bylaws shall be made only at regular meetings of Staff Council.
Any member of the Staff Council may move to make amendments to the constitution and/or bylaws.
Any amendments to the constitution or bylaws must be ratified by a two-thirds vote.